Balance boards are getting more and more popular these days as more people have been confined to their homes. They provide an inexpensive and easy way to get your exercise without having to deal with the hassle of a gym or the expense of expensive treadmills or recumbent bikes. The best balance boards will not only give you something fun to do at home, but they will also offer some key fitness benefits, including:
- Improving Your Coordination- Because a balance board will engage your entire body during a workout, you are training all your muscles to work together which aids in coordination.
- Gaining a Faster Reaction Time- When you are on a board and maintaining your balance, your brain is busy at work creating new neuro-pathways helping your body react faster to unexpected changes below the feet.
- Cardio- Although it is not going to give you the same cardio workout as a treadmill, if you spend some time on a board and take it seriously, you will raise your heart and breathing rates, which is a safe and fun cardio workout.
- Strengthening Joints in the Legs and Ankles- As your legs reposition themselves over and over they are engaging all the muscles to keep your torso and core balanced. When you engage any muscle group over and over rapidly, it adds new muscle layers.
- Strengthening Your Core- Your stomach and back muscles will be constantly trying to keep up with the legs and keep you upright, this is a great core workout without the back strain of sit-ups.
Now that you know why balance boards are great fitness tools, let us examine some of the top models available on the market today, and look at the good and bad of each one.
Best Overall Value for Money- EveryMile Wobble Balance Board, Exercise Balance Stability Trainer Portable Balance Board with Handle for Workout Core Trainer Physical Therapy & Gym 15.7″ Diameter No-Skid Surface
The EveryMile is a wobble-type balance board that has an anti-skid platform that keeps your feet from sliding off while you are working out on it. It is shaped like a disc with 2 hand-sized holes on either side of it. It looks a little like a flying saucer. This board will allow you to do standing, sitting, and push-up style exercises safely, and it is relatively inexpensive and safer than some other balance board models.
- ABS Abrasion Resistant Platform- The platform is covered with a non-slip surface for extra safety and confidence during workouts. This allows you to work out safely without having to worry about sliding off the edge.
- Full Rotation- The EveryMile has 360-degree rotation allowing you to move all-around in any direction unimpeded. The up and down angle is 15 degrees which give you enough of a workout but keeps you relatively close to the ground.
- Portable and Lightweight- It is small enough to fit in a gym bag and weighs under 4 pounds, meaning you could take it anywhere without a hassle.
- Durability- It is constructed of thick, high-quality plastic TPR material and will hold up to 300 pounds.
- Safety- Due to the low profile and nonskid surface, this is one of the safest balance board models available.
- Available in four colors
- Safe and effective
- Thousands of positive reviews
- Not as inexpensive as some other options
Even though it may look like a toy, this board is a solid piece of workout equipment. It is well designed and will deliver an effective workout while giving you the confidence that you are not going to fall off. The non-slip surface is a great feature, and the fact that it is a disc shape instead of a board with a fulcrum give is the added safety many people want. It is not going to cost too much, and it has thousands of positive reviews. If you are just starting out and want a safe board to try out, this is our choice.
Runner Up Value for Money- URBNFit Balance Board – Core Trainer – Increase Stability, Strength and Flexibility – Ballet and Dance Trainer
The Urbnfit balance board core trainer is a disc-style balance board with a half-spere balance ball on the underside. It specializes in core training and improving your overall balance and stability. It is almost the best on the list, but it comes in as the runner-up because it does not have quite as many color options or an attractive design as the number one pick. However, it is a good choice for nearly anyone who is getting into balance boards on a budget.
- Wobble board design is good for training surfers and skateboarders as well as anyone looking for the benefits of a balance board.
- Has an anti-skid surface that gives you a strong grip and will help keep you from falling off or slipping.
- Can be used with a standing desk or for dance training as well.
- Fits with a wide variety of ages and skill levels due to the simple portable design and low to the ground profile.
- Solid wood core construction will last a long time
- The anti-skid surface is good at keeping your feet where you want them and helps avoid injuries
- Simple portable design makes it easy to bring with you or use almost anywhere
- Not very expensive considering the quality of the build
- Good for all ages and skill levels
- Mainly designed with beginners in mind so it will not be much of a challenge for experienced users
While it does not tick as many boxes as the first choice, this balance board will be a great choice for nearly anyone of any age or skill level that is interested in starting balance board training. It is not expensive and is backed by a no-questions-asked refund policy. Overall, it is a simple board that will fit the needs of most beginners at a fair market price. It is designed in such a way to relieve stress while giving you a nice workout while you are working.
Best for Standing Desk- FEZIBO Standing Desk Anti Fatigue Mat Wooden Wobble Balance Board Stability Rocker with Ergonomic Design Comfort Floor Mat (Medium, Obsidian Black)
The Fezibo anti-fatigue balance board is specifically designed to work in conjunction with a standing desk. It has an ergonomic curved design with raised textures that will help massage your feet and keep you from sliding off while you are working at your desk. It calls itself an anti-fatigue mat because the raised bumps on the standing surface will help stimulate your feet and increase blood flow while you are using it.
- Anti-fatigue design is ergonomic and meant to stay at an 8.5-degree angle which keeps it low to the ground so there is no danger of slipping or hurting your ankles while using it.
- Can be used with many different exercises such as planking as well as its main function as a balance board for your feet.
- Extremely strong support can hold up to 320 pounds of weight.
- Comes with a 30-day guarantee.
- Easy to use at a standing desk
- Stimulates the feet with it’s raised bump texture
- Versatile since it can be used at a standing desk or anywhere else, such as a gym or home gym
- Has over 3,000 positive reviews
- Not as intense of a workout as many of the others on this list
- Cost quite a bit more than most
Although this unit is a bit expensive compared to some of the others on this list, it is a high-tech design that is specifically made to work with a standing desk, which is not a common feature. I would not recommend this for somebody who is looking for a normal board to start with, because it will not offer an intense workout. It is perfect if you have a standing desk and are looking for a balance board that will function in tandem with your desk. However, it is kind of a one-trick pony, and is not a great bargain if you are looking for something intense.
Best for Seniors- Airex Balance Pad – Exercise Foam Pad Physical Therapy, Workout, Plank, Yoga, Pilates, Stretching, Balancing Stability Mat, Kneeling Cushion, Mobility Strength Trainer for Knee, Ankle – Small, Lava
The Airex Balance Pad is the perfect option for seniors who are turned off by all the high-profile intense balance boards out there. Those are far too dangerous and hard to balance if you are somebody who is trying to improve an already weak sense of balance. The Airex is a foam pad that is soft and safe for seniors or anyone who has issues with balance. It is also a good choice for those who are recovering from an injury such as a stroke or a back injury.
- The Airex is the #1 recommended pad by physical therapists. This is because it is safe and easy to use.
- It is small and lightweight which makes it easy to bring with you and carry from place to place, for example from home to the therapy session.
- Surface will repel moisture and wetness while remaining soft and grippy.
- The pad is durable, made with high grade foam that will last a long time.
- Easy to wash by rinsing off and air drying after each use.
- Perfect for seniors or anyone who is recovering from an injury
- Simple to use
- Easy to clean
- Effective for retraining your sense of balance
- Safe to use with very little chance of accidents
- Not suitable for anyone seeking a high energy workout
This is not a very versatile board, it is made for specific use. If you are in physical therapy or recovery or if you are a senior with balance issues this is the perfect choice for you. Because of all the design features which are focused on safety and comfort this board is a great fit for people looking for an easy and safe way to get their balance board fix.
This board will not appeal to thrill-seekers or serious balance board enthusiasts because it just does not offer the high-intensity workout they are seeking. However, it is a great match for beginners or people with physical limitations. Because it is an awfully specific product the price tends to be higher, which is expected in that situation. Overall, this is the best option for seniors or people in recovery due to the comfort, ease of use, and safety. Just be prepared to pay a bit extra for all those features.
Best for Skateboarding Training- INDO BOARD Original – Balance Board for Fun, Fitness and Sports Training – Comes with 30″ X 18″ Non-Slip Deck and a 6.5″ Roller – 11 Color Choices
The Indo Board is the best unit for anyone looking to train for skateboarding or surfing. It is a two-piece board with the main deck and the fulcrum which is the rolling cylinder that goes underneath. It is created by Drew Brophy who is a famous surf lifestyle artist. A word of caution, this is not a beginner board. Any boards with the fulcrum design are much more difficult to master and carry with them an added risk of injury due to the nature of how balance and gravity work! If you are looking for a challenge and want to improve your skating or surfing, check this one out.
- This board has a bamboo deck design which is rigid and attractive, created by Drew Brophy.
- It is a thick high-quality board made from birch wood that has a non-slip surface added.
- Comes with molded fulcrum roller and instructional DVD which you should really watch so you do not end up breaking your neck.
- Used by high-level athletes (not for beginners)
- Will give you an intense workout.
- An intense workout that will improve your entire body’s sense of balance while working your core and leg muscles at the same time
- Comes with an instructional DVD
- Attractive design
- Extremely high-quality solid wood construction
- This is not safe to use for beginners.
- Awfully expensive
While the Indo board is not for everyone, if you are a skater or surfer or even a balance board expert, this is the board for you. It is a fulcrum style board which is the most challenging of all the board types, that carries with it the most risk of injury. It is not easy to keep your balance and get the workout unless you have put some practice time in. For many fitness enthusiasts, the challenge is what it is all about. If you are looking for a challenge, this board will give it to you.
Overall, it is considered a great choice for seasoned experts or anyone with some time on a skate or surfboard. The ticket price is expensive but keep in mind this is a solid birch deck designed by a famous artist and it comes with the fulcrum as well. If you are not scared off yet, you should check this one out!
Best for Core Strength- Revolution FIT 3-in-1 Exercise Balance Board Training System
The Revolution Fit 3 in 1 system is a full workout system disguised as a balance board. It has 4 pieces, and it comes with a digital library. The digital library enables you to get access to workouts, exercises, challenges, and many other videos. It specializes in squats, planks, lunges, knee dips, mountain climbers, and the list goes on and on. The price tag may scare you but keep in mind you are not just buying a balance board; you are getting a full system that will offer you a challenging way to perfect your core and improve your overall body fitness and sense of balance.
- Almost limited options for different exercises targeting almost every muscle group.
- Comes with many videos which will keep you engaged while you are working out and teach you at the same time.
- Great for cross-training because it provides a full-body workout.
- High-quality build materials are suitable for bringing to the gym or working out at home.
- You will not need any other fitness equipment
- Provides several entire body workouts
- Comes with videos to teach you and keep you entertained
- A great choice for beginners who want only one system
- The best choice for working your core
- Lots of information to digest
If you have tried other systems and know what to expect, this is going to be a great choice for you. It is also beginner-friendly, however, there is a lot of information to learn, and all the pieces and instructions may seem complicated and not appeal to some beginners. It has been designed to be the best system for your core and based on the reviews it seems like it achieves that goal. Overall, this is going to be a smart choice if you want one system with everything you need to get fit, but it may be overwhelming for you if you are just looking for a balance board. It is expensive, but remember this is 4 pieces and many videos, and it’s an entire system, not just a balance board.
Best for Kids- Spooner Boards Freestyle – Green, Medium
The Spooner Boards Freestyle is the best balance board for kids, by a mile. It is a curved board with sandpaper-style grip tape on the top to help keep your feet planted. When you first look at it you can see it is appealing to kids with the bright colors and crazy look. Just because it looks like a kid’s toy, do not think it cannot be used by adults, because it can. It is a good choice for beginners too, because it is low to the ground and will be relatively easy to keep your balance.
- Designed for kids and beginners, it is low to the ground and fairly safe to use under adult supervision.
- Extremely tough construction is almost impossible to break.
- Attractive bright color design appeals to kids and makes them want to exercise on it.
- It Will last a long time due to the rigid construction
- Provides a variety of safe workouts for kids and beginners
- Comes in a variety of colors
- This will not appeal to seasoned users
- Seems expensive for what it is
Kids would rather sit around and play video games these days. The people at Spooner have done a good job making an exercise unit that is safe and fun for kids. With the bright colors and wacky design, it makes kids want to try it out. Getting kids to exercise is not easy these days, but these boards do help make it easier. It will give a good workout and improve balance overall for kids and beginners as well. I thought it could have been a little cheaper, but it is not too expensive if you consider all factors.
Best Budget Balance Board- Yes4All Wooden Wobble Balance Board – Round Balance Board, Stability Board for Physical Therapy, Home Gyms
The Yes4All Wooden Balance board looks like a simple disc-shaped UFO. It is covered with grip tape like what you find on skateboards, which will keep your feet in place. It has all the elements necessary to provide a good workout for your legs and core while helping you train your sense of balance. The fulcrum underneath is a rigid plastic with the rest of the board being a decent slab of wood. This is a solid board that does what it should for an extremely good price.
- A durable no-slip surface on the top will keep your feet on the board and help them from slipping off.
- 360-degree rotation and a 15-degree tilt make this a good choice for core training and leg muscle targeting.
- Compact design is easy to bring with you anywhere. It is also lightweight which is nice if you must walk or bike any distance with it.
- Simple easy to use design
- Safe to use for all levels
- Portable and lightweight
- Full 360-degree rotation
- Excellent low price
- Not close to the same quality level as some of the others in this list
If you need a balance board and are on a restrictive budget, this is the best choice. It is not the same level of quality as our top pick, but it is much better than many others costing 3x the price. It has all the necessary pieces to make it a smart choice for anyone. It has a 360-degree rotation which is an extremely nice feature in a board in this price range. Overall, you are not going to get high-end boutique quality building materials here, but this board will hold up to some normal use and will last a good while, just do not expect too much for this price.
You have seen a long list of the best balance boards out there, but how do you know which one is going to suit your specific needs? With all the different price ranges and designs, it can seem overwhelming when it comes time to make a choice. Do not worry, we are going to go over the most important things you need to know before buying!
The Different Types of Balance Boards
There are 5 main types of balance boards, though we only like 3 types. The type of board is important in the way that each type requires a different action you will need to perform while using it. While any type of board could be a good match for just about any person, it is important to match your skill level and interests to the type of board you are considering. Hopefully, after reading about the different types of boards, you will have a better idea of what suits you.
Wobble boards are probably the most popular style of balance boards. They are defined by the flat surface which is supported over a cylinder or a ball. Many wobble boards are disc-shaped and offer 360-degree motion. One of the key benefits of wobble boards is that they allow you to twist your body due to the full 360-degree motion. This movement is great for core training and working on flexibility especially in the lower back and torso.
Rocking (Rocker) Board
Rockers are typically a board with a flat surface attached to a half-circle base, which provides a back and forth rocking motion, much like a rocking chair. They do not allow for too much range of motion, focusing only on two directions of movement. They can be a challenging board though, due to the steep 30 to 35-degree slant. These are used a lot by snowboarders to practice.
Roller boards are the two-piece balance boards you see that have the deck piece that resembles a skateboard, and the fulcrum underneath that looks like a rolling cylinder. Roller boards tend to be the most challenging of all the board types due to the motion of rolling back and forth on the fulcrum. If too much of your weight goes on either side of the roller, you can easily fall off. Think of roller boards like a see-saw or a teeter-totter. There is a point in the middle where the roller connects to the board, and as you move back and forth, the center of gravity changes which can be hard to deal with.
Features to Look for
The style of the board you choose will be an important factor. If you like utilitarian things, you are not going to want a crazy-looking multi-color board. You will want to match your esthetic taste to the board you ultimately choose. Because there are so many different looks and styles, you should not have any difficulty finding one that appeals to you.
This may be the most important thing to consider when purchasing a board for the first time. If you are new to balance boards, you should be considering a rocker or a wobble board. Roller boards are difficult to master and can be dangerous if you are not used to how it feels. It is a much safer bet to stick the beginner-level boards like wobbles and rockers if you are new and want to get started.
Function / Target Muscle Group
If you know which specific muscles you are trying to target with a balance board, it helps make the buying choice a little easier since the types of boards are better at doing different things.
If you are really focused on core training, you should consider a 360-degree motion board, which typically is a wobble-type board. Also, a good idea would be to get an entire system that focuses on core training, like the Revolution Fit 3 in 1 system.
For people mainly interested in targeting legs and glutes, and improving overall balance, a rocker or a roller board would be a good fit. Roller boards are intense workouts that will train your balance like no others. Rocker boards are a good way to improve balance and target the leg muscles and glutes.
Any balance board can have a level of danger associated with it since you are changing the center of gravity while being elevated slightly in the air. Of course, not all boards are equal, and some are more dangerous than others.
If you are worried about safety for your first board, consider finding one with a lower profile and less of an angle. Make sure you check for non-slip surfaces as well, since those will keep your feet from sliding off.
As previously mentioned, roller boards are the most challenging type of boards and the most dangerous, so if safety is your thing it may be a good idea to avoid those until you get some experience.
Price is always a factor whenever you are buying something new, especially something you are not familiar with. Luckily, most balance boards are not expensive, with many going for 30-60 bucks with some coming in under 30. With exercise gear, you get what you pay for, so consider quality in conjunction with price when making your choice. If you are new and will need some instructions it may be good to get one with some DVDs or videos you can learn from, or you can always watch that stuff on YouTube.
With all the good choices in this list, most of them are under 50 bucks so you really can not go wrong. There are some expensive options too, but there is something for everyone. Take an extra minute to consider the quality and longevity of each one before making your choice.